Equity and Inclusion
The Eden Mills Writers’ Festival unequivocally condemns anti-Black racism and violence inflicted upon the Black community. As an organization, we do not tolerate racism, hate or bigotry of any kind.
In Canada, we are not immune. The EMWF recognizes the systemic inequities that have stifled the voices, stories, and perspectives of BIPOC and LGBTQ2S communities in this country.*
The mission of the Eden Mills Writers’ Festival is to celebrate the power of words to ignite our imaginations and reveal worlds and ideas beyond our own experience. We cannot succeed at doing so without the inclusion of writers from underrepresented, BIPOC and LGBTQ2S communities. We are committed to literary arts programming that is inclusive, accessible, and responsive to the needs of our region’s diverse communities and racialized groups. It is our goal as an organization to increase access to and engagement with Canadian writers who offer a multiplicity of perspectives.
That said, there is more work to be done.
As an organization, we have the capacity and the responsibility to address barriers to participation by answering the following questions:
- How can we design literary arts programming that is truly equitable and inclusive?
- What are the frameworks that we need to adjust in order to become a more equitable and inclusive organization overall?
- Within our region, what are the cultural needs of our diverse cultural communities and racialized groups and how can we contribute to addressing these needs?
- How can we collaborate with diverse cultural communities and racialized groups in order to increase access to the literary arts?
Becoming a more equitable and inclusive organization will require an ongoing commitment to learning and action, and a commitment to changes beyond programming decisions. We are committed to making these changes.
We invite you to share your feedback by emailing [email protected].
-The Board and Staff of the Eden Mills Writers’ Festival
* BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour), LGBTQ2S (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Two-Spirit)